The project is a £2.3m development in Southside of Glasgow and is home to 2 GP practises, Pollokshields Health Shop, who offer Health Improvement Services, Social Works Services; Health Visitors and District Nurses. The project was managed on behalf of the NHS GG&C, the public sector client, by hub West Scotland who employs the private sector supply chain, including the contractor, to deliver the best possible value for money solution.
Construction commenced on 14th April 2014 and the building was officially opened 8 months after completion the by the Health Minister Shona Robinson. Also in attendance was the first minister Nicola Sturgeon, in her capacity as the local MSP for the area
Throughout the building project hWS were committed to providing additional value for the public sector client in the form of community benefits. These included: a carefully managed community engagement plan; educational opportunities; tendering work to local contractors and the opportunity for a range of employment opportunities through the project.
As the project was bringing together many diverse service users and two separate GP practices key stakeholder engagement was represented at each design team meeting to ensure that the most efficient building was created, whilst ensuring each service was correctly briefed and accommodated.
At a wider community level the partnership approach enabled the NHS GG&C, Hub West Scotland and the project team to engage with the local community during the development of the project. The aim was to ensure they were provided with regular updates and information on the development of the project from the outset.
A number of community engagement activities were organised during the project. These included:
• Open Days, Public Meetings, Newsletters and a Community Fun Day,
• Artist Alex Hamilton led workshops with a various members of the community, from School Children to Senior Citizens. By providing them with the freedom to collect leaves and create collages, creating individual pieces of ‘blue’ print art, the designs for the steel feature panels were created.
Through the community engagement process a number of school engagement activities were delivered by the NHS GG&C and the project team:
• Careers workshop to local primary school pupils,
• Health & Safety talk to local primary school,
• Site visits to construction students from the local college.
The main contractor, CBC, working in partnership with the NHS GG&C and Hub West Scotland created the following employment opportunities:
• 6 Work placement opportunities were created, for HNC college students and unemployed individuals seeking work in the construction industry,
• 1 construction management graduate was employed by the contractor,
• 1 joinery apprenticeship opportunity was created by the contractor,
• 2 employment opportunities created for joiners.
• 73% of contract value awarded to Scottish SMEs
• 47% awarded SMEs within the greater Glasgow area
In conclusion, the building forms part of a new overall community provision along with the community centre and the new Gaelic school. The unified service delivery approach makes life easier for the local community improving access to better services in the one building. The number of patients in each of the GP practices has risen and the attendance at the local services has also increased, since the new centre opened in January 2015.
Not only has the centre been recognised at the Building Better Healthcare Awards its success has been acknowledged by the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland with and RIAS award; Health Facilities Scotland Design Excellence Award and it has also been nominated for a brick award and a Glasgow Institute of Architects (GIA) Award.
Notes to Editors:
Hub West Scotland is a partnership between the Scottish Futures Trust, West Territory Participants and The Wellspring Partnership.
The Wellspring Partnership a joint venture between Morgan Sindall Investments Limited and Apollo Limited.
For further information please contact Angeline Robertson, Partnerships Director. [email protected]